16 October 2009

Lightening the load

I made the decision to drop out of my Japanese class this evening, i'm doing well but unlike the previous year I can't find the time to get any proper study in. I had only just recieved a letter from the Manchester College days ago telling me that they would fund the course completely and give me an additional amount for travel costs, but whilst free education is awesome I can't escape the fact that if I continue as I am then my productivity will slip on both courses....not good.
And so, prioritise I did.

....I am rather gutted about it though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, enough of Japanese studies, I shall annoy my facebookers and tweeters with more of my disappointment later. Onto the things that have been on my mind this week.
I have actually started a book for reviews and random thoughts (etc. etc.) but i'll post the moderately interesting things on here aswell.

There are two advertisements that have had me thinking recently, the first being 'ARIEL' fabric softener. I was just wondering if they used the font ARIEL in their branding, and if not....wouldn't it make sense?
I still haven't checked up on this yet.

The other advert is on a lot of the buses in town at the moment, 'Kenco Smooth', it states that their new product has 97% less packaging and the font is made up of shards of glass and old labels. But beside this is an image for the new sachet packaging, very fancy, until you see that on the front of the packet is an image of a Kenco jar! ....the very thing that the advert itself is trying to draw away from. Tsk tsk.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rewind to Tuesday evening. It was that time of the month again when I and my friend Jimmy go to a Life Drawing class, this month was particularly full with all the new students around. We both agreed that it was probably the best class we've had to date as we were giving different methods to experiment with (drawing poses with the left hand, using only circles, passing everyone's different pens around the room, etc). And as always we finish off with a 30 minute main pose. It's always interesting looking at other people's different styles in the room at the end, i'm looking forward to the next class. (me and Jimmy also agreed that we're due a female model next time!)


---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And lastly, the main thing that's been on my mind. A music video.
I sometimes play a set of Japanese music at a monthly Japan film night in Manchester, so i'm regularly on the look out for new songs and artists to play and I recently came across this song, 'Heavenly Star' by Genki Rockets, it's not strictly the kind of music I generally listen to but I read about the artist on Wikipedia and I was quite inspired by general the back story of the artist as this is something similar to what I had been trying to achieve with my own music a few years back.

I then watched the music video and I was completely inspired, the look of the video (obviously inspired by 'Take on Me' by A-Ha) along with the back story really made me smile. Ever since stumbling across this video I have been thinking that I would really like to work on music videos like this at some point.....especially relating to my own music.


3 comments:

ChrisJCrawley said...

Aw no way mate.Sorry to hear you had to drop out of your Japanese class.

ChrisJCrawley said...

Also, good point with the whole Ariel scenario but the font is spelt 'Arial'.

KarlDoran said...

Shame about the japanese Bob.

Are we to call you Salfordbob from now then?