9 May 2010

Liam Spencer review

The other day I came across this artist, and hiswork really impressed me.

Liam Spencer was born in Burnley (UK) in 1964.
He studied Fine Art at Manchester Polytechnic, graduating in 19
86. After living and working in Manchester for many years, he came to public attention in 2000, with an exhibition "Urban Panoramas" at the newly opened Lowry arts centre in Salford.
When I first saw his work I just couldn't believe that they were oil paintings. His work is based in paintings of cities, mostly by night.
In my point of view, they are photographs perfectly converted into paintings. I find so interesting the way he didn't miss a detail, i.e. car lights, traffic lights, the wet floor of the street,the colours... It is just unbelievably well done.
He has done paintings of many different cities, including Manchester, New York, China, London and Istanbul.

2 comments:

FairlyOddSez said...

I was really inspired by him whilst I was in college, I loved how he managed to make the scene look wet like it had been raining.

Sara said...

I know! he's amazing!