28 February 2010

Advertisements review - Like/Dislike?

It wasn't until very recently that I noticed that it wasn't just me who liked watching advertisements, and after starting this course realised that in fact most creatives seem to draw inspiration from them. But not necessarily in a creative sense....some adverts I like just because they make me smile or feel good.

In an attempt to create a bit of interaction in this blog post, everyone pick two adverts that are showing at the moment....one you like and one you dislike....and tell us why. I'm interested to see what different things people like.


DISLIKE:

Injury Lawyers 4 U - the first two or three adverts they had a few years ago I didn't really mind because I actually found them quite commical, which I suppose is the reason they changed them...to look more professional. But in a steady decline the adverts have become increasingly depressive and in the latest ad have gone overboard with the "FOR YOU" quotes (a phrase which after numerous years of call centre work I have begun to loathe). The colours in the latest commercials have a very grey feel and the actor telling you about the service looks bored out of his head....all round it just makes me frown when I see it come on.


LIKE:

Head & Shoulders - I can just vaguely recall the last time an advertisement made me feel so good, i'm pretty sure it was for Coca Cola in the late 90s or something. Anyhoos....this Head & Shoulders ad, i've been telling people about it since it aired. I absolutely love it but i'm not entirely sure why, the music is a definate contributer and possibly the allround bright lighting of it. It would also be interesting to see the storyboard for it as I like some of the shots aswell. The simple narrative of two strangers having a brief but chance meeting is one i've always liked.....and actually, I think it something along those lines which was in the coke ad.





As a side-note, the Barclaycard advert everyone keeps banging on about....no one seems to be seeing the issue that confuses me about it. There is one point in it where the guy on the rollercoaster looks at a woman though her window as she is taking a shower, from the angle we have she is covered by the shower curtain....yet the rollercoaster guy can see her naked, no wonder he has a smile on his face.....but she smiles back!?!
A tad risque don't you think? ....hmmm, well I recently worked for Barclaycard for 2 years and I never got that vibe at all. I'm still trying to work out why they put that scene in there....other than to shock people.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I absolutely love the barclaycard one! Wish I could go to college on a rollercoaster! Ha!