12 December 2009

Painted Faces



Yesterday I finished painting a mask i've been working on recently, it's a chinese design common to their opera masks....sometimes also referred to as 'painted faces'.
However this particular design is in reference to one of my favourite Hong Kong movies, it's called 'Dreadnaught' and the main villain of the film paints this design on his face to go unnoticed as he begins to kill members of an opera troupe.

Over the years that i've been composing music, i've often referred to myself using a few different alias's and one of the more popular of these was 'Dreadnaught'. In recent years the desire to perform has increased; but fluctuations in confidence have made me doubtful, so the idea of wearing a mask to ease me into it has been in my head for a quite a while.....painting this mask is only the beginning. I doubt that i'll perform on my own for some time yet, but the potential for collaboration is there. I'm quite pleased with how the mask turned out at least.




I also created a t-shirt design this summer for the same thing, for me it's all about promoting and honouring movie classics that are perhaps not as well promoted as they should be.

No comments: