12 December 2009

One Hour Photo it is then...

During the lunch break on Thursday afternoon I paid a visit to all the major DVD retailers in Manchester with the aim of buying 'One Hour Photo', and not one of them stocked it....but as luck would have it I managed to find a 2nd-hand copy for £3 in an exchange shop inside the Arndale. I had only seen the film once a few years back and because of the minimalist use of colour it's always been quite memorable, I couldn't remember what the title sequence was like though....and as I couldn't find it posted anywhere online I had to go and get a copy.

I watched it last night, the title sequence in it's entirity was about 7-10 seconds long, extremely brief, but it was still pretty good I thought. Nevertheless i've made my decision now that i'm definately going to do my sequence for this film.
Before watching it again I had an idea what I was going to do for the music, and after seeing it the sounds I have in mind are pretty much running with the original theme that was used....although I am not going to reference the original score as I want to do a complete remake with my own musical composition.


'One Hour Photo' was not the first film that I had in mind when I found out about the brief, my initial thoughts were to do an updated title sequence for a Hong Kong movie called 'Duel to the Death' as I wanted to make a choice that I would be passionate about making. It's about an age old hourable tradition that sees the best swordsman from China and Japan go head-to-head to see which is the greater nation...despite the two fighter's reluctance to fight each other. It's one of the most significant Hong Kong movies of all time as it pioneered the iconic wire-flying technique which has become widely used to this day in such legendary films as 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', 'House of Flying Daggers' and 'The Matrix'. It's also the best depiction of ninja in cinema that i've ever known.

Although, when I then recieved the brief and noticed the limitation of only up to a minute for the title sequence I discarded the idea as I felt I wouldn't be able to do the film full justice with such a short time frame. I suppose, ultimately, this is a good thing as I shouldn't really be too indulgient in my choice towards my favourite movies and allow it to cloud my thought process. Hence why I chose a neutral film that, rather than being a fond favourite, is a film that I can definately apply some depth to with regards to it's title sequence.

No comments: