31 October 2009

SLINKACHU





Slinkachu is a London artist who in 2006 started a project called "Little People Project". It involves the remodelling and painting of miniature model train set characters, which he then places and leaves on the street. It is both a street art installation and a photography project.
In 2008, he started the "Inner City Snail Project", involving the decoration of snails that he finds around London. After decoration, the snails are then replaced, free to go about their business in the city.


I find his work amazing, it is such a clever idea that embraces many different styles including street art, photography, children's games and installation art. What I most like about it is its originality.

I love the idea of leaving his art on the streets, so everyone can see it but doesn't know who did it. I could feel like going to find some of these little guys.
Besides being original, his work is comical and
ironical.

"The street-based side of my work plays with the notion of surprise and I aim to encourage city-dwellers to be more aware of their surroundings. The scenes I set up, more evident through the photography, and the titles I give these scenes aim to reflect the loneliness and melancholy of living in a big city, almost being lost and overwhelmed." Slinkachu.


I think that at least once in their life everyone has felt like these little people, lost and overwhelmed in a big city.

If you want to check out his website, click here.

In 2008, he launched a book called "Little People in the City", I got it for 10 quids in the Urbis Centre shop. I love it!

1 comment:

Tokyobob said...

Hmmm...y'know i'm not sure, but I think i've seen these on TV before. I remember a segment on the local news a few years back talking about an upcoming exhibition which was basically just an empty room but with a minature cityscape model all along the skirting board....and it looked very much like one of the scenes on Slinkachu's website.

I like the skateboarding guy.