16 September 2010

Cyrus - the moooovie

I took a little trip to Cheltenham this week with work (adidas) and what a very quaint place it is. Very lovely. The Tuesday evening we decided to go the cinema with Cyrus being the chosen film. I'd actually not heard of the film and for some reason the word Cyrus signifies horror to me. I was wrong. It was a comedy and a very good one at that....





To cut a long story short - it's about a guy who meets the woman of his dreams. Her son however has other plans. He doesnt want to lose his mum and so sets out to break them up...

That quick plot makes it seem very cliche and over done but it was acted in such a wonderful and intimate way that it felt like no other film I have seen. It was shot in a very indie style. Hand held cameras and quick zoom ins - almost like a documentary. This made the film seem very real and as if we were watching in on their lives. It was actually extremely effective. The length of the film was perfect. Sometimes a film goes on for that little bit too long. You start looking at your watch wondering when the credits will roll. Not with this one. Another major bonus point for me was Marisa Tomei who plays Molly. She had the most incredible hair. It was big, curly and full of wonderfulness. I found myself falling in love with it more and more with each scene. Super it was. And as for Cyrus - I'd go far enough to say, one of the funniest characters I've watched in a film this year. Timing was spot on, and his facial expressions were epically priceless.






This film ticked off many of my 'you know its a good film when...' boxes;
- I laughed...out loud!!
- I would pay to watch it again.
- I would buy it on dvd.
- I rein-acted some of the scenes with my friends afterwards for sheer comedy.
- I loved each of the characters.
- I remember all of the characters names!!!

I think this could be a marmite film. Audience split down right down the middle of love or hate it. But personally...I am partial to be a bit of marmite!

No comments: