14 July 2010

Childhood impacts - Definative cartoons

I've always believed that the imagery, music and stories that you're subjected to in your early years are an major part of what goes into making up personality, and being a film fan since an early age i've always considered those things to be the original source that ignited my imagination and creativity.

I often like to think back and remember some of the things that I found exciting, inspiring or magical at the time and revisit them to see how I feel about them now. I might do a few posts relating to this on different themes, but my main reason for this post was that I have recently been reminiscing about the old Hanna/ Barbera and Warner Bros. cartoons that I used to watch as a kid and I wanted to narrow down some of my favourites.
Unfortunately they don't seem to show a great deal of the old classics thesedays which I think is a shame because the kids watching cartoons now will be missing out on some of the earliest and greatest animations.....then again, this may just be me being an old geezer.

Anyhoos, in the pursuit of trying to think which was my favourite cartoon I remembered numerous shorts of Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Popeye, the Donald Duck WWII propaganda cartoons and others. I also recall a favourite which featured a futuristic house with buttons everywhere to activate things....i'm sure Elmer Fudd or Sylvester was in it....

....But....

There are two cartoons in particular which have always remained with me, and I managed to find both on YouTube. I'm not surprised watching them again why I loved them so much, it makes perfect sense.

The first is a Popeye short called 'Big Bad Sinbad' from 1957, and as the title suggests it is themed around Sinbad the Sailor. I realise seeing it now why I liked it so much, i've always loved the old arabian Sinbad movies (,'Thief of Baghdad', etc.) and the cartoon captures the mood (in particular the music) perfectly.




The second is quite possibly my favourite cartoon of all time, it is a Tom & Jerry short from 1945 called 'Mouse in Manhattan' and in fact doesn't feature Tom hardly at all. Watching it again now I feel just as inspired and enchanted as I did all those years ago, and I realise that one of the reasons I love this cartoon so much is because i've always liked the look of New York in the 50s....the styles and sounds relating to films such as 'On the Town', 'How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying' and 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'.
Once scene in particular, the broken candlestick and the dancing with dolls, is one that will always stay with me.

1 comment:

ChrisJCrawley said...

I agree Rob!

I still love all of these cartoons too!I'm a big fan of the old Hanna-Barbera.Always been a fan of Scooby-Doo!

Not seen that Tom and Jerry one for years.Enjoyed that Rob.Cheers!