6 April 2010

Review - How to Train your dragon




Went to see this film today with Louis and we both loved it! It had all the elements of a beautifully filmed live film and they realised this amazingly with animation. It had ambience, great lighting and a believability......I was completely drawn in. Of course it did help having the 3D element and it was in fact the first film I have seen in 3D that actually worked. I have found that a lot of films have been brought out in 3D and it has been pointless and unnecessary, but the whole element of speed and flying was definitely enhanced wonderfully through the element of 3D.

The dragons, were amazing, me and Louis came away wanting a pet one, they were shown to have cat like qualities and the use of eyes as a point of communication was very effective. It is all about the eyes!!!! There is a lovely part when they make friends as seen on the clip above, and the dragon decides to share his food with the boy. It uses alternative communication brilliantly and reminded me of when you feed a baby and have to use head gestures to get the point across. Such a simple idea, but it makes me wonder would I have thought about that! There is such a lot to take into consideration to make a piece beautiful.....I need to watch more films....is that possible!!!!!

I am a bit of a sucker for a tale of mythology and action and a all ends well tale, but even without this I loved the film, because I think you would have to have a hard unchildlike heart to not be drawn in. It had all the style of a film epic with great panoramic views and music and it showed how far and fast CG is moving. My favourite moment was when there had been a massive explosion and the ash flew around the cinema, the lighting was low and the sound almost completely silent and the ash was floating around your head. It was tres tres cool!!!!

So a definite thumbs up for this film....go see!

No comments: