15 March 2010

My website - advice

I started setting up a new basic website for my stuff a few weeks ago, but since then i've kind've hit a brick wall with it. I started it on a spur just so that I had something online that I could direct people to so it hasn't gone through a full design process (apart from a few designs of the front page).

http://www.tokyobob.com/

Obviously i'm aware that none of my contact info is on there yet but can I get some thoughts about the looks, layout or content of it. My reason for choosing a black background is because I HATE-WITH-A-PASSION these new computer screens which have over-the-top glare and whenever I go onto a brightly lit website (which pretty much means most sites) I end up turning the brightness setting right down. Some people may like this, I dunno, I just like to read something without having to squint and hope that I wont go blind.

http://www.freewebtown.com/eggshen/

This was my previous website which is a few years old now, which I still like the design of and the bright colours.
I would actually prefer a bright website, but i'm not sure....glare is a real off-puter for me.

Also, how is the loading speed?

4 comments:

Kitty Pemberton-Platt said...

Hey Rob! I really like your homepage - I think the illustration is brilliant and really grabs you attention. I also like the type face of your name and the links around it.
However, when you click on the links I think the 'copyright' word is too big - I think its a bit over powering. It only needs to be small. Also the type you use within the links I think could possibly be better - with such good font at the beginning, I think by using Arial for the main content is a bit of a shame. Maybe its just because the type is too big? Does that make sense? I think the type should be simple for a lot of text however because its slightly too big it looks not as proffesional!
Can I ask what you used to make the website? And also, how did you register the domain - was it expensive?

Kitty Pemberton-Platt said...

Ps I think the black works to be honest! Especially because all of you work tends to be so bright! Its a good contrast. If you had a bright background aswell it may be too much.

smiles said...

I really like the black as the other work contrasts nicely against it. love the fonts used and the graphics, my only criticism would be maybe the wording and little visuals may be a bit too small against the black background as black does swallow stuff up. it loads at a good speed and I love the homepage image.....very very cool site dude!

Tokyobob said...

Cheers, i'll make some adjustments the next time I get a chance to fiddle with it. I was trying to find a way to make a smaller embed link for the video and music files as they seem to crowd the page....but I couldn't find anything that didn't suck majorly.

Kitty, I used Dreamweaver to do the website although it's pretty basic so it could've been done in notepad. As far as the domain goes, as unlimited space/domains is the norm thesedays I teamed up with my brother and we now go halves on the same account (we were with Dreamhost until very recently)...so it costs me only around £35 a year....

...plus the domain name, which is about £5 a year or something...