14 February 2010

Ron Mueck

Yesterday I went to see Avatar, I thought that after 2 months it would be fine to go without pre-booking, well...of course I was wrong wasn't I.
So for the 3 hours to kill between the sold out showing we were intending to see and the next showing which we subsequently booked for, me and my friend Jim decided to have a wander around Manchester Art Gallery and see what they're currently exhibiting on the higher levels.

On the top level there was a brilliant collection of sculptures and artworks by east-asian artists which is well worth a look at....but....as we moved next door to the next exhibit, as we passed through the hallway and an incredibly large head came into view my mouthed dropped open. It was a collection of scultures by a 'hyper-realist' artist called Ron Mueck and each one was basically just a sculpture of a person, but the amount of detail in each is what captures your interest and really amazes you.

In the first piece that I'd noticed first from the hallway, a giant head, as I got up close to it the realistic qualities became even more intricate, a distinct shine on the inside of the eyes made them look wet in a subtle but again all too real manner....this was what really fascinated me about the work.

His is a name that I will not forget in a hurry, and to anyone who is in Manchester this half-term...I urge you to take 10 minutes to bob in and have a look.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I went to see Ron Mueck's exhibition last week, and loved it!! This guy's stuff is superb!!!!