15 February 2010

Ford Focus TV advert

Everyone must have seen it by now, it's on every five minutes. It's in my head constantly.

I keep stopping to think about this advertisement whenever I see it on TV, it doesn't seem outrageously original or creative as i've seen many people replicate similar effects before using their own cameras with ease. I myself haven't used an SLR camera since I took a short course in photography back in 2000 so I have no idea thus far how to create this light effect, all I know is that it's mainly to do with the shutter speed.

Regardless, this isn't what fascinates me about this advert at all. As the advert proceeds; the light strokes draw figures relating to the campaigns theme of Attraction, and it is the way in which these figures are presented which keeps me thinking about it. The variation between the thick and thin of the lines makes them seem (well, to me at least) like old barbershop charicatures or I dunno....Moroccan or Greek illustrations?
Perhaps the advert having been filmed in Portugal had something to do with it? ...who knows....but it's a very distinct style that i've somewhere in some area of European illustration before. And to see it in this kind of advert seems like a strange mix, but I guess it worked for them as it has stuck in my mind ever since it's first broadcast.

It's just a shame for them i'm not interested in buying a car! ....such a pity.




As a side note to this, one of the light figures in the advert is of the famous side-walk pose of Marilyn Monroe from her film 'The Seven Year Itch'. Having seen the movie myself I always find it a little odd that this image is used so often....as it doesn't actually feature in the movie itself, all that is shown during the scene is a low shot of her legs. That one full promo shot photographed at the time is actually a million times more famous than the film itself.....I mean, who ever talks about 'The Seven Year Itch'? ....nobody.

I remember the film actually had a pretty neat title sequence for it's time.

No comments: