17 January 2010

CHILD 44





So I've decided to do this title sequence on a book I've just read called Child 44. Above are a few of the cover designs i've found for it. I chose this because I wanted to make something completely original, creating all my own imagery based on my interpretation of the narrative and atmosphere of the work, without being influenced by a directors version of what the story means to them. There are loads of films I'd like to do one for, some of the ones I considered were: Dog Soldiers, The Evil Dead, A Nighmare on Elm Street, Scary Poppins, The Lost Boys as well as several other contenders. I'm happy with my choice though, and I'm sticking with it.

To give you an idea what the book is about here is the blurb -

In Stalin’s Soviet Union, millions live in fear. Death is a whisper away. The mere suspicion of ideological disloyalty sends millions of innocents into the Gulags or to their executions. Defending the system from its citizens is the MGB, the State Security Force. No MGB officer is more courageous, conscientious, or idealistic than Leo Demidov. His only ambition has been to serve his country.
Then the impossible happens. A different kind of criminal, a murderer, is on the loose, killing at will. Leo finds himself demoted and denounced by his enemies, his world turned upside down, and every belief he’s ever held shattered. The only way to save his life and the lives of his family is to uncover the criminal. But in a society that is officially paradise, its a crime against the State to suggest that a murderer, much less a serial killer, is in their midst. Exiled from his home, with only his wife remaining at his side, Leo must find and stop a criminal that the State won’t admit even exists.

That's about it. It's an intelligent, atmospheric, tense thriller which received a good deal of acclaim at the time of it's publication. It was in fact long-listed for the Man Booker prize, the first thriller to have been considered I believe, and if any of you folks ever partake in such archaic practices of reading an actual book, I can recommend this one.

That's all for now folks. I'll keep you posted on developments. Much love. x

2 comments:

Green disciple said...

The book seems very interesting. The top bookcover reminds me of Russian propaganda posters with the red and white...can't wait to see the finish titles seqences.

KarlDoran said...

Yeah I know what you mean about the posters. The book's set in Russia in the 1950s so I've been looking at the art and design of that time to inform the style I go for and there's some interesting ones I found, and that cover design does look influenced by them.